Early in his career, founding partner, John L. Messina, won the biggest personal injury verdict in the history of the State of Washington, a record that stood for a number of years. He has won hundreds of cases involving negligence by government agencies, product manufacturers and contractors, and has represented many ordinary citizens injured by negligent driving and medical care. He brings passion and concern to every case and is committed to helping clients cope with the devastating injuries they have suffered.
In addition to his legal activities, John is extremely active in the greater community.
John is a native of Tacoma and is married to Guelda (Lewis). They have four children and six grandchildren.
Achievements, awards, and associations:
- Graduated first in his class at Gonzaga Law School
- In practice for more than 40 years
- Recognized by his peers as one of the 100 best trial lawyers in Washington state.
- Highest rating for over 25 years from Martindale-Hubbel, a national legal publication that rates performance and ethics.
- Law and Politics “Super Lawyer” since1998.
- Member of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, whose membership is limited to 500 nationally.
- Certified in Civil Trial Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Served on the committee of Washington State Supreme Court that writes standardized trial jury instructions
- Served on the boards of the Gonzaga Law School
- Served on the boards of the Washington State Trial Lawyers Association
- Served on the boards of the Washington Sons of Italy
- Helped write changes to the Tacoma City Charter
- Authored the provisions regarding election of the council by districts and term limits.
- Speaker at numerous educational events for trial lawyers.